Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Book news Catch up for RUN INTO BLACKNESS

Honestly, I forgot about this site. Well, it slipped my mind to write on my blog. What have I been doing with my book of poetry lately? Like our ancient people, I've been roaming in search for food --- those hungry people who LOVE poetry. It's taken me to book clubs, libraries, cultural centers, schools, and of course coffee houses. I continue adding places to my calendar.

My biggest rush for this year was getting into the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville, TN. The festival was October 8-10th and was a great way to end the year. I read from Run into Blackness and had a book signing after that. At the reading one woman sit there crying while I read. Perhaps it was because it's allergy season or maybe she felt something from my words. I almost stopped reading when I saw her tears.

The book signing was more of a rush. I had a constant flow of people. Some from the reading. People asked to take a picture with me. Others wanted me to sign their poster; there was a poster made for the festival. Then, of course, some books were sold. This was on October 9th.

After that festival, I drove from Nashville to Gallatin, TN which was about an hour away, to the Sudanese Arts & Craft Festival. I was the featured poet for that event. I enjoyed the constant flow of visitors, drumming, dancing and of course delicious food. Some Sudanese men sang a song too.

I read from my book there. Of the poems read, this resulted in a discussion about race and history. This somewhat controversial talk brought about mixed notions about race and event what it means to be black, Black and human.

My conclusion, you are what your momma made you while in the womb. We all want to feel special in some way. That urge to be unique will cause people to clutch onto just about any perception. There's nothing wrong with feeling good. People should like what they see in the mirror, but too many times in history people have used books (not mine!!), lineage and class to justify behavior, belief and causes.

I am Black. The Blacks, (i.e., those African snatched from Africa, Alkebulan) stolen and forced to work during the American slavery era are part of me. I can call myself anything I want even legally change my association but I don't deny the past. In fact, I embrace it with open arms. Those Africans were survivors. They thrive. That's the first message of hope.

Regardless what hell I encounter, I will survive and thrive. This is a human message but I link it with my roots. Can I find it in American stories? Yes? I can find the same message in China, Russia, Korea, India and a host of other places. This doesn't remove the uniqueness of my story. In fact, it connects my African racial brew with the other races which have a message of hope.

So find your story in your people regardless of your hair texture, nose or lips shape, and the other characteristics. Character gives us strength to be better people not characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment